Skip to content

Ideas?

March 28, 2011

It may be unfounded, but my biggest fear is that Sofia will be forgotten.

I can’t bear the thought that in 10 years, she will just be a distant memory.

How can I even begin to have this conversation?

The last few days have been pure family time, and the boys and husband and I have hardly been out of one another’s site. March 24th would have been Sofia’s 10th birthday. It was a tough day, but we managed to make it through by being together… That’s really all we could do.

We have a few things already in the works – prompted and lead by others. There will be a new playground bench dedicated in her name at St Helen this spring. And a walk/run event sometime in the fall.

Our local neighborhood park is being rebuilt, and I have asked that a brick from the old building be inscribed and installed in the new building. She and her brothers spent a lot of happy times there.

We’re also researching starting a non-profit with donations going to a to-be-determined charity or charities. I don’t believe we’ll start something new, because there are so many groups doing great things that need support already.

Any ideas let me know.

About these ads
7 Comments leave one →
  1. barb permalink
    March 28, 2011 1:27 pm

She will NEVER be forgotten, I think about her at various moments every day. So many things remind me of her spirit! Is there an animal shelter or place there in Logan Square? Sofia never met an animal she didn’t love!! Maybe a ‘pet adoption’ grant? To help pay when families adopt pets from the shelter? A 3rd grade scholarship at St. Helen’s for a family that might need it?

2. Helena Villarreal permalink
    March 28, 2011 2:21 pm

She will never be forgotten. This is true. My grandma’s sister Delores passed away when she was two years old from a heart ailment. My grandma was a few months old at the time. But, her mom and dad made sure that she always remembered Delores. Grandma always talked about Delores. We still remember her over 80 years later.

Sofia will never be forgotten either. I never had the honor of meeting her. But, I feel like I know her through you.

The ideas that Barb has are great. Here in our community she is remembered with the wonderful playground set at the ISS. And, she lives on in the hearts of the community members itself.

3. Beta Mom's Mom permalink
    March 28, 2011 8:49 pm

OUR LITTLE SOFIE Will NEVER, EVER, BE FORGOTTEN!!!!!!!
    Her Grandpa And I Think Of HER All THE TIME ! SHE BROUGHT
    SO MUCH HAPPINESS TO US, AS WELL AS, TO ANY ONE THAT
    HAD THE PRIVILEGE TO MEET HER. WE ALL FEEL AN EMPTINESS
    IN OUR HEARTS. WE KNOW SHE IS IN A BETTER PLACE AND ARE
    ASSURED THAT WE’LL MEET AGAIN, SOMEDAY!
    grandma sharon and grandpa howe

4. Christine permalink
    March 29, 2011 9:22 pm

Sheri, there is no way she will ever be forgotten, especially by the family who loves her so deeply. I can imagine that one day one of her brothers might name their daughter Sofia :-)

5. Andrea permalink
    March 31, 2011 2:34 am

How’s the 4 hour body coming along? Are you seeing the amazing results Feriss promised yet? I’m on week one. Looking forward to a day of grease and chocolate :)

6. Andrea permalink
    March 31, 2011 2:35 am

Oops I’m sorry I posted this on the wrong page. I didn’t mean to interrupt….

7. Mahruq permalink
    April 5, 2011 9:07 pm

Sheri,

You have every right to express this concern. Sofia is constantly in my heart…She’ll always be a part of our lives and we’re always going to find a way to celebrate her, her silliness, her strength, her love of soccer, her love of animals, her ability to connect with anyone and everyone, her free spirit and big heart…What’s in our hearts doesn’t always get vocalized but please know that while our hearts never forget, we must also continue to express our remembrance of her out loud…and I am personally committed to that.